Hot Tub Filter Cleaning 101
Cleaning your Hot Tub Filter is a task that should be regularly completed, A dirty filter can reduce the effectiveness of your pump/s & make it much more difficult to keep the water clean in your Hot Tub or Pool. No one likes soaking in a dirty Hot Tub or Spa, every time a person is soaking in the water, thing like lotions, sunscreens, make up & a bounty of other products that a person has been in contact with run off in to the water. This is why it is vital to maintain a clean filter, it will help to remove contaminants.
Tip: Always have two filters on hand so that you can switch out while soaking your dirty one.
In this article, we share some easy ways to keep your filter clean for as long as possible and discuss why it is so important to maintain these vital components of your Hot Tub.
How to clean a Hot Tub Filter
We find that the best way to keep a filter clean is by following these simple steps:
- Once per week remove your Hot Tub filter and give them a quick soak with a high pressure hose. Pull apart the pleats and try to remove all debris
- Once per month use a filter cleaner and soak the filter over night. Then give the filter a thorough rinse. We recommend Mineraluxe Filter Revive for this use. (Find directions below)
Cleaning a Hot Tub filter only does so much. After a while, spa filters will require replacing. Replace your filters if you see the pleats are bent or ripped or if the filter looks dirty or discoloured.
Filter Cleaning Tips:
- Always wear rubber gloves when handling your filter cartridge
- Having 2 filter cartridges allows you sufficient time to clean the cartridge properly
- Allow the filter cartridge to dry after cleaning to improve filter effectiveness
- A quick source of hot water for your cleaning solution is the hot tub itself
- Rinsing with a garden hose or under a tap is sufficient – don’t use a high pressure washer
- Rinsing the filter cartridge with water weekly is a good maintenance practice
Cleaning Chemical Process: (recommended monthly for hot tubs with moderate use)
- Prepare a solution of Dazzle™ Filter Cleanse and hot water (preferable) in a clean plastic pail, laundry tub or specific filter cleaning
- Lightly used hot tub – use 200 mL of Dazzle™ Filter Cleanse for 15 minutes
- Moderately used hot tub – use 300 mL of Dazzle™ Filter Cleanse for 15 minutes
- Heavily used hot tub – use 400 mL of Dazzle™ Filter Cleanse for 15mins
- Remove the filter cartridge(s) from the filter housing and rinse with garden hose to remove physical
- Submerse filter cartridge(s) in the solution and allow to soak for 6 – 12
- Once soaking is complete, remove filter cartridge from solution and rinse well with clean water from garden hose or Do not use high pressure washer.
- Allow the filter cartridge to stand until dry before putting back in
- Once cleaning is complete, the used cleaning solution can be safely disposed of by pouring down the drain
You will be much happier knowing that you are soaking in a clean tub after you start cleaning your filter regularly. Thanks for reading and be sure to reach out to us if you have any questions.
Happy Hot Tubbing!